Did you miss our latest webinar on the "Best practices for nonprofit website design & content in 2023"? We've gathered the biggest takeaways for you.
8 Best practices for your nonprofit website
1. Accessibility should be a top priority. This extra step will set your website apart from others by showcasing an extra level of care. Audit your website for its accessibility score for free here: Accessibility Checker - ADA & WCAG Compliance
2. Implement “words that work.” Simple language performs better than formal, complicated language. Instead of “Make a transfer of assets” → Try: “Make a gift of assets.” Instead of “Make a bequest gift to charity” → Try: “Make a gift to charity in my will.”
3. Optimize your site for mobile. Utilize Mobile-Friendly Test - Google Search Console to generate a report on the mobile-friendliness status of your site and identify the potential issues that require your attention.
4. Incorporate visual content. There should be a balance of images and text that is appealing to the eye. Feature images that are high-quality and consistent with your brand. We love Unsplash for free stock images.
5. Aim for the educational and aesthetic “sweet spot.” Even the best writing can’t remedy a poorly designed website. Arrange content so the most important details are seen within seconds. Determine whether your site follows an F-Pattern or Z-Pattern scan and check the placement of your CTAs to ensure optimal flow.
6. Examine the suggested gift amounts on your Donate page. An experiment using 60,000 fundraising appeal letters from a hospital tested two ask strings:
- $10 / $50 / $100 / $ ___
- $10 / $50 / $100 / $250 / $500 / $ ___
The second version raised twice as much money per letter!
7. Make your website your own. Stay true to the style and voice of your organization.
8. Incorporate donor testimonials. These show potential donors they’re one of many choosing to support your mission.
Bonus tip: Check your loading times. A slow loading page was the #1 reason visitors left a website. Check your site’s loading time and get actionable steps with Google’s PageSpeed Insights.
Watch the full webinar recording to learn the trends and insights that informed our recommendations, and schedule a 1-on-1 conversation with our team to learn how you can implement these best practices onto your nonprofit's site.